There are many amazing things that go into preparing for the arrival of a new baby such as birthing classes, baby showers, and of course, decorating the room for the baby.
The decoration of a baby’s room is a very important task as the room will be the first one the baby will live in. Nursery decoration has become a huge industry with blogs, magazines, and newsletters dedicated to the topic.
When decorating a room for your newborn, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Decide on a theme: Much like general home decoration, there are endless themes available for the decoration of a newborn’s room. There are space themes, floral themes, minimalistic themes and so on.
Before you even begin purchasing items for decoration, decide on what theme you want to use. This will help guide your choice of colours, decorations,and furniture.
- Co-ordinate your pieces: After you have decided on a theme for the room, it is important to make sure that the furniture, decorations,andcolours you use coordinate with one another.
If you are going for a space-themed room, for example, a chandelier would look out of place in the room, unless, of course, it is not space-themed.
Using pieces of furniture that do not follow your chosen theme will lead to the room looking cluttered and lack a sense of organization.
Fortunately, there are a number of ceiling lights UK retailers such as Lampwise where you can get a wide variety of lights that will fit any theme.
- Decorate your ceilings: When most people are decorating their baby rooms, most of their attention goes to the furniture, lights and so on.
As a result, not everyone thinks of the ceiling and it is often left bare. However, due to sleeping and diaper changing position, babies spend a lot of their time looking at the ceiling and so it would be a good idea to decorate the ceiling either with lights, paintings or even live wallpapers that will entertain the baby.
- Take safety precautions: While decorating the nursery, it is important to keep safety in mind.
After all, the baby will spend a good part of his or her day in the room and you wouldn’t want them getting hurt.
Therefore, it is necessary to baby-proof the room by adding protective panels to table edges, securing the power sockets and avoid buying very small decorations that the baby could potentially choke on.
- Be open to change: While it is easy to get caught up in the excitement of decorating a baby’s room, you need to keep in mind that the baby won’t be an infant forever.
The nursery will inevitably have to transform to a room for a child and even a pre-teen. Therefore, pick items of furniture that can make the transition without looking out of place such as lamps that will be appropriate for a school-aged child’s room as well as a baby’s room.
Decorating a newborn’s room can be challenging as well as exciting. By applying the above tips, the journey can be much smoother for both you and the newborn.